Midwest winters are cold, but that doesn’t stop us from having plenty of fun here in Minnesota! There are so many fun things to do in Minnesota in the winter – and the landscapes here are exceedingly beautiful when blanketed by fresh layers of powdery, white snow. If you haven’t ventured out in the depths of winter in Minnesota, then let us show you how and where to have some fun this year.
While enjoying the many fantastic things to do in Minnesota in the winter, don’t forget to include a day or two to relax in comfort. The best place to do that is at one of our top-rated Minnesota Bed and Breakfasts, conveniently located in some of the top destinations in the state. Our Inns are rated as the best places to stay in Minnesota, and it’s thanks to the unique accommodations, welcoming hospitality, and exquisite attention to detail by our Innkeepers.
Minnesota truly is an outdoor lover’s paradise – add to that the silence and solitude you can only find in the winter, and it’s easy to see why people enjoy all the many things to do in Minnesota in the winter. Minnesota Bed and Breakfasts offer fantastic lodging for four seasons of fun getaways, but there’s something special about them in the winter. There’s plenty of fun during the day, but come nightfall, the cozy, welcoming accommodations of our Minnesota Bed and Breakfasts provide a welcome respite from the cold.
If you’re looking for a fantastic winter getaway, now’s the time to start planning. Experience the best of Minnesota this winter, and book your room at one of our member Minnesota Bed and Breakfasts.
Things to do in Minnesota in the Winter
When most people think of all the great things to do in Minnesota, they think of hiking, biking, and enjoying lake country – activities primarily enjoyed in the summer and fall months. However, there are just as many things to do in Minnesota in the winter as the rest of the year, and they are arguably just as fun. Some would even say they are more fun!
If you aren’t afraid of the cold – and really, no one should be, so long as you wear the proper layers and bundle up for the day – then there are plenty of fun things to do in Minnesota in the winter, and we’re waiting to share the best of it with you this year! Our member group of Minnesota Bed and Breakfasts are located throughout the state, including in popular destinations like Duluth, Stillwater, Minneapolis/St. Paul, and even in the state’s southern portion in Bluff Country.
These destinations make for a fantastic getaway where you can enjoy all the best things to do in Minnesota in the winter. By no means is our list below exhaustive, but it does give you a great start in finding some fun this winter.
- You can thank our Scandinavian heritage for this, but cross-country skiing is one of the most popular things to do in Minnesota in the winter, and it’s something you can do just about anywhere in the state. Some of the most popular places for cross-country skiing include Afton State Park, Elm Creek Park Reserve, Theodore Wirth Park, all in the greater Twin Cities area, Snowflake Nordic Ski Center in Duluth, and several Minnesota State Parks.
- Minnesota State Parks are great for more than just cross-country skiing! They are also excellent places for snowshoeing and sometimes snowmobiling.
- We can’t talk about winter in Minnesota and not mention ice fishing, one of the most popular things to do in Minnesota in the winter. In the land of a thousand lakes, well, there are plenty of options. Try Leech Lake near Bemidji or Lake Superior near Duluth for some of the best ice fishing.
- If you want to enjoy some downhill skiing, one of the most popular things to do in Minnesota in the winter, you’ll have plenty of options to choose from. Popular places to ski in Minnesota include Spirit Mountain and Lutsen Mountain near Duluth, Giants Ridge in Biwabik, Buena Vista Ski Area in Bemidji, Afton Alps in Hastings, Wild Mountain in Taylors Falls, Buck Hill in Burnsville, Coffee Mill Ski Area in Wabasha, and Welch Village Ski and Snowboard Area near Red Wing.
- Join the crowds and cheer on a local hockey team! Minnesota pro teams to watch during the winter include the Minnesota Timberwolves and Minnesota Wild. It won’t take you long to see why this beloved winter sport is one of the best things to do in Minnesota in the winter.
- Get your adrenaline pumping and go snowmobiling on Minnesota’s exceptional network of trails. You can find them everywhere in the state, making this one of the most popular things to do in Minnesota in the winter.
- Treat your taste buds and enjoy some Minnesota special maple taffy! It’s made by pouring freshly boiled maple syrup over icy cold snow, and it’s a fun way to make a tasty treat each winter.
- It may be surprising, but dog sledding is one of the most fun things to do in Minnesota in the winter. You can watch races from the safety of the sidelines, such as the Wolftrack Classic in Ely or the John Beargrease Sled Dog Marathon in Duluth, Minnesota. If you want to try it yourself, several lodges near Duluth offer guided day trips.
- Try a new winter sport. Have you ever been curling? It’s really popular in Minnesota! In fact, we have the most curling clubs in the nation.
- Winter in Minnesota isn’t all about the outdoors – it’s also a great time to visit some of Minnesota’s top breweries.
Warm Up at the Best Minnesota Bed and Breakfasts
Given the many fantastic things to do in Minnesota in the winter, you’ll need at least a few days to enjoy it all – and likely multiple trips each year to experience the best of this great state! Luckily, we have a fantastic network of Minnesota Bed and Breakfasts in Minnesota, located in some of the most popular getaway destinations.
When it comes to the best winter getaways in Minnesota, you’ll be hard-pressed to match or beat the experience you’ll have at one of our Minnesota Bed and Breakfasts. Like Minnesota itself, each of our member Inns is unique in what they offer – but they all share one thing in common: The hospitality you’ll encounter is the epitome of “Minnesota Nice.”
Relax, unwind, and let us do all the hard work for you, so you can do what matters to you most: Have fun and enjoy all the best things to do in Minnesota in the winter! Book a room at one of our Minnesota Bed and Breakfasts today. Our winter wonderland is waiting!