Are you looking for fun and exciting things to do in Duluth this winter, while at the same time planning a getaway that is equal parts memorable and relaxing? There’s no place better to get away for some restorative time to yourself, coupled with a bit of adventure, than Duluth. There is an incredible number of things to do in Duluth this winter, starting of course, with a trip north to one of our incredible Bed and Breakfasts in Duluth.
The A.G. Thomson House Bed and Breakfast and Solglimt Lakeshore Bed and Breakfast both offer an exceptional place to get away, each with their own distinct offerings and set of experiences. Both of these historic Bed and Breakfasts are small properties with big personalities and exceptional service. And the best part about staying with us? You’re near all of the incredible things to do in Duluth this winter!
Once you’ve in Duluth, this winter playground is yours to explore. From skiing, snowboarding, cross country skiing, and snowshoeing, to visiting top attractions like the Glensheen Mansion and Duluth’s famed breweries, there’s truly no shortage of fun things to do in Duluth this winter. And now is the perfect time to start planning your adventure!
9 of the BEST Things to do in Duluth This Winter
There’s a lot to love about Duluth. It’s a pretty great place to visit, but it’s certainly not a getaway destination that should be relegated just to the warmer summer months. Duluth is actually something of a veritable playground in the winter months. Though the silence and solitude that you’ll enjoy outside are certainly the stars of the show, there are still plenty of things to do in Duluth this winter that don’t involve bundling up and heading into the cold.
But if you’ve never experienced winter in Duluth, you’re missing out! This is an exceptionally special season, and it’s one we’d really love to share with you!
- While hiking is one of the most popular things to do in Duluth throughout the year, in the winter it is replaced by cross country skiing and snowshoeing. Many of the same hiking trails that you traverse in the summer offer an entirely new experience in the winter! If you’re looking for dedicated cross country ski trails, try the following trails:
- Piedmont Trail – a great trail for beginners and intermediates with a wonderful overlook with views of the St. Louis River valley.
- Lester-Amity Ski Trail – A very popular 15-kilometer trail close to downtown.
- Magney-Snively Trail – A great 14-kilometer trail for intermediate and advanced skiers that travels through heavily forested hills.
- Chester Park – This 3-kilometer trail is very hilly and for advanced skiers only.
- The Hartley Nature Center – This nearby ski center offers equipment rentals and 5 km of beginner to advanced trails.
- Snowflake Nordic Center – This place was designed for Nordic skiing lovers. there is a full-service facility with warm chalets, rentals, and lessons.
- Spirit Mountain Nordic – There are 22 kilometers of beautifully wooded trails in the upper nordic ski area, and even more in the newer nordic ski area on Grand Avenue.
- Cross Country trails aren’t the only way to enjoy skiing in Duluth. Another one of our favorite things to do in Duluth in winter includes downhill skiing and snowboarding. There are several different places to go, which includes, including Spirit Mountain, Chester Bowl, and Lutsen Mountain a bit farther to the north.
- This holiday season, enjoy the drive-through lighted display of Bentleyville Tour of Lights. It’s going to be different this year but still promises to be the same magical holiday experience as always. It will open for the season on November 21st, and run through December 27th, 2020.
- Enjoy the stunning Glensheen Mansion, all decked out for the holidays. They will be open for self-guided tours for the season on November 13th, 2020. This is the perfect time to admire the 25 Christmas trees, count the 25 hidden elves, and enjoy the extras of this stunning mansion.
- In January, join in the excitement the annual John Beargrease Sled Dog Marathon brings to town. This incredible 400-mile event travels through the majestic Sawtooth Mountains and is a qualifier for the famed Iditarod race in Alaska. For something a bit different, try some dog sledding yourself in Duluth. We don’t think you’ll be disappointed!
- Enjoy a 90-minute scenic trip on Duluth’s Christmas City Express Train Ride, which starts again on November 27th.
- Enjoy a romantic dinner for two at one of Duluth’s top restaurants, which includes the Lake Avenue Restaurant & Bar and Va Bene Berarducci’s. You can also choose to grab takeout and dine-in style at our cozy bed and breakfasts in Duluth! Don’t forget to make time for a quick drink at one of Duluth’s top breweries, too!
- If mountain biking is a favorite pastime for you during the remainder of the year, then you need to get outside and try some fat tire biking. It’s a completely new experience – and the lift-served trails at Spirit Mountain make it an exceptionally easy way to have some fun this winter!
- Explore the far reaches of the Northshore on the miles of snowmobile trails in Duluth- it’s easily one of the most popular things to do in Duluth this winter! The breathtaking beauty of this area will be on full display as you speed down the trails.
The Best Bed and Breakfasts in Duluth MN
There’s nothing but magic waiting for you in Duluth this winter. And, as you can see, that trip can be filled to the brim with exciting things to do in Duluth this winter if you so choose. Of course, you’re also free to enjoy this winter wonderland from the cozy comfort of one of our Bed and Breakfasts in Duluth.
Embrace a life of luxury at the A.G. Thomson House, situated in the historic Congdon Mansion District of Duluth and just minutes from downtown. Grace and elegance are imbued into everything we do here at our Bed and Breakfast in Duluth, starting with our gourmet breakfasts, which are thoughtfully prepared for you each morning of your stay, and ending with our 7 uniquely appointed guest rooms and exceptionally warm and welcoming hospitality.
For a unique experience along the sparkling shores of Lake Superior itself, considering booking a room at Solglimt Lakeshore Bed and Breakfast. From here, you’ll enjoy views of Lake Superior and the iconic Aerial Lift Bridge, and you’ll be within walking distance of Duluth’s Park Point and Canal Park Neighborhood. With cozy guest rooms our hearty and delicious breakfast, you’ll want for nothing during your time at this waterfront gem.