If you’ve never experienced a getaway to the St. Croix Valley in the fall, then this year might just be your perfect opportunity. There’s plenty of beauty to behold in Minnesota each fall, but the St. Croix Valley is at or near the top of our list when it comes to places to visit this fall. The St. Croix River itself is undeniably beautiful – there’s a good reason it’s been named a National Scenic Riverway and is protected by the National Park Service.
There are a number of charming towns and Bed and Breakfasts located in the St. Croix River Valley. As small properties, these Bed and Breakfasts make for great getaways this fall, even though the COVID-19 pandemic is still actively interrupting travel around the country. At small properties like our Inns, you can not only enjoy plenty of social distancing, but you can relax in comfort knowing cleanliness and your health and wellbeing is our #1 priority.
This fall, leave your stress at home and book that much-needed getaway to the St. Croix Valley in Minnesota. You won’t regret a second of your time spent here!
Discover the St. Croix Valley This Fall
Charming towns, scenic state parks, and unforgettable river views. That’s what awaits you when you visit Minnesota’s St. Croix Valley. You don’t have to travel far to get there, either, as the St. Croix River Valley is just 30 or so minutes outside of Minneapolis/St. Paul. To say this river is unique and worth seeing is far from an understatement. It’s actually only one of 8 rivers in the country to be considered a National Scenic Riverway, and it is well-regarded as one of the best rivers in the country for canoeing and kayaking.
Natural beauty is certainly the #1 attraction in the St. Croix Valley, but it’s not the only draw to the area. The river towns themselves are quite charming. Their small, too, which means you generally won’t be faced with large crowds this fall. Once you get there, here are some suggestions for how best to enjoy the stunning St. Croix Valley:
- Visit 4 of Minnesota’s Best State Parks! They include Wild River State Park, Interstate State Park, Afton State Park, and William O’Brien State Park. From the more wild and untamed parts of the river in the north to the exceptional bird and wildlife watching further south, each of these state parks offers exceptional opportunity to see and explore the river.
- Go canoeing or kayaking on the river. There are a number of great entry points along the river. William O’Brien State Park offers canoe and kayak rentals and a public boat launch and is a great place to start.
- Explore the town of Stillwater MN, which is the largest town on the St. Croix River. It’s home to the historic lift bridge, and the streets are lined with wonderful restaurants, breweries, shops, and plenty of historic architecture to admire. Find a spot overlooking the river, and you’re bound to see plenty of sailboats, yachts, and even gondolas cruising the water.
- The charming town of Hastings, which is located on the confluence of the Mississippi and St. Croix Rivers, is a popular antiquing destination.
- Go wine tasting! The St. Croix Valley is home to a number of delicious wineries, including Alexis Bailly Vineyards & Winery, the first winery in Minnesota.
- Visit the Gammelgarden Museum, which chronicles the area’s Swedish Immigrant history.
- Take a scenic riverboat cruise on the St. Croix River in Taylors Falls.
- There are a number of apple orchards near Stillwater, Afton, and Hastings, which makes for a delightful fall afternoon.
- The fall migration of birds is nearly underway, and there’s no better place to see them than along the St. Croix and Mississippi Rivers in Minnesota. There are plenty of State Parks and natural areas that offer exceptional birdwatching.
- Relax, unwind, and enjoy the view from one of our exceptional Minnesota Bed and Breakfasts located in the St. Croix Valley.
Lodging Near the St. Croix River
If you’re looking to get away and enjoy the natural beauty of the St. Croix Valley this fall, there are a number of Minnesota Bed and Breakfasts that would love to host you. There are four delightful properties in Stillwater: Cover Park Manor, Water Street Inn, Rivertown Inn, and the Aurora Staples Inn. In Afton, you can stay at the Afton House Inn. Though each Inn is distinctly different in feel, all of them will offer a level of warmth and hospitality that you won’t find in traditional hotels and lodging properties.
This fall, we not only invite you to experience the beauty and grandeur of the St. Croix Valley, but we invite you to experience the exceptional hospitality offered by Minnesota Bed and Breakfasts. When you stay with us, you’re making a safer choice. Smaller properties, fewer people, and spotlessly clean and welcoming environments are just some of the things you can expect to enjoy on your getaway. Take the leap, and book a room at one of these sensational Bed and Breakfasts today!