The delightful display of Minnesota fall colors is nearly here, and after what has felt like a long several months dealing with the COVID-19 pandemic, we are certainly looking forward to our own local change of scenery. Though the pandemic is still affecting us on a daily basis around the country, we hope you can find a way to get away with us. Our collection of Minnesota Bed and Breakfasts offer an unbeatable escape. With small properties and limited guests, social distancing at our Inns is never a problem, and our Innkeepers are dedicated to providing safe, clean, and welcoming getaways in the face of it all.
Even if you don’t feel like venturing far out or into the public this fall, you can still enjoy a quiet and peaceful getaway, and, of course, a much-needed change of scenery. Many of our Bed and Breakfasts are located in some of the most picturesque areas of our state, which means you can take in the changing Minnesota fall colors from the comfort and privacy of whichever Inn you choose.
The fall season itself doesn’t last very long, but it is vibrantly colored and filled with delicious treats and plenty of joy. Visit one of our member Bed and Breakfasts this fall, where you’ll enjoy exceptional hospitality and a welcome respite away from home. Find your perfect home away from home and book your getaway today!
Where to See Minnesota Fall Colors
Minnesota fall colors start making their appearance in September, and continue throughout the month of October, moving gradually south as the weather cools for the season. If you want to time your trip carefully, you can keep track of fall color development in Minnesota here. Like everyone, Minnesota fall colors are highly dependent on the weather, and each season is slightly unique. However, the typical peak of fall foliage tends to occur from mid-September to early-October.
There are so many wonderful places to see stunning displays of Minnesota fall colors, but these are 10 of our favorite places:
- Fall drives are probably one of the easiest ways to get out in the countryside to experience the glory of Minnesota in the fall. There are so many great scenic drives to choose from, too, but our favorites include the North Shore Scenic Byway on Lake Superior near Duluth, the Lake Mille Lacs Scenic Byway, down Highway 61 through the Mississippi River Bluffs, and on Highway 95 through the St. Croix River Valley. Here’s a great resource if you’re looking for more great scenic drives this fall.
- Visit the headwaters of the Mississippi River at Itasca State Park. The fall colors here are beautiful!
- Stroll across the swinging bridge and enjoy hiking through the stunning Jay Cooke State Park near Duluth. Other great parks in the area worthy of a visit in the fall include Split Rock Lighthouse State Park, Gooseberry Falls State Park, and Tettagouche State Park.
- Take a bike ride on any of Minnesota’s incredible trails. Some of the more popular trails include the Root River State Trail near Lanesboro, the Heartland State Trail near Bemidji, and the Cannon Valley Trail near Red Wing.
- Take a scenic boat tour on the St. Croix River at Taylors Falls, followed by a visit to Interstate State Park where you can enjoy plenty of hiking trails and some of the largest explored glacial potholes.
- Take a relaxing train ride through the country. Both the North Shore Scenic Railroad and the Osceola & St. Croix Valley Railway offer fall excursions.
- Kayak through the backwaters of the Mississippi River at Five-Mile Bluff Prairie State Natural Area, Frontenac State Park, or anywhere else along the stunning bluff country of Minnesota.
- If you’re in the metro area, head to the Minnesota Landscape Arboretum for some stunning Minnesota fall colors, or just simply walk around Lake Minnetonka.
- Visit the charming riverside town of Stillwater on the St. Croix River. Stillwater is the largest city on the St. Croix, it’s also one of Minnesota’s oldest towns, and is filled with plenty of historic architecture and beautiful scenery.
- Visit the apple orchards of southeastern Minnesota, where you’ll not only enjoy the fall colors, but you’ll be able to pick your own delicious taste of fall from the orchards themselves.
Get Cozy at a Minnesota Bed and Breakfast
Fall is not only undeniably beautiful in Minnesota, but it’s also the perfect time to curl up and enjoy the cozy atmosphere of our Minnesota Bed and Breakfasts. Nothing quite beats the comfort, amenities, and hospitality you’ll find at our collection of Inns, not to mention the relatively safe atmosphere afforded due to our smaller size and natural social distancing. Our collection of Bed and Breakfasts is also unique, ranging from Victorian mansions and lakeside castles to cottages in the woods, log homes, and urban escapes.
Not only will you enjoy a complete change of scenery, but we’ll pamper you with a delicious and freshly made breakfast every morning of your stay. We offer the perfect blend of “Minnesota Nice” hospitality. Couple this with stunning views of Minnesota fall colors and a fall getaway is hard to pass up. Escape the tangles of modern life, and book your getaway to a Minnesota Bed and Breakfast this October!