As the snow begins to melt and we emerge from the long winter in Minnesota, it’s time to start thinking about all of the fun places you’re going to visit this spring, summer, and fall. Of all the places you could go, we think Minnesota State Parks are a great place to start! State Parks offer you a great way to explore this naturally beautiful state and all of its hidden gems and natural wonders.
In total, there are 75 Minnesota state parks, which combined see ### visitors each year. Beyond just these preserved state lands, there are also plenty of state forests, county parks, and other recreational areas to visit. If you’re always wanted to explore the land of 10,000 lakes, then 2020 is the perfect time to book a room at one of our Minnesota Bed and Breakfasts.
The Best Minnesota State Parks to Visit
Minnesota State Parks offer some of the best scenery in the state, including things like densely forested lands, winding rivers, and, of course, some of the most beautiful freshwater lakes around. It’s no surprise that, with so much natural beauty, Minnesota is considered a Mecca for outdoor adventurers. Minnesota State Parks offer an incredible variety of amenities, too, like hiking, mountain biking, kayaking and canoeing, wildlife viewing, and simply relaxing in the fresh air and enjoying your natural surroundings.
As an added benefit, many of our Minnesota Bed and Breakfasts are located near the state’s top attractions, which include these state parks. Here 10 Minnesota State Parks for your consideration this year:
- Whitewater State Park, located in southern Minnesota, offers visitors scenic bluffs to explore, plenty of hiking, extraordinary blooms of spring wildflowers, and excellent trout fishing.
- For great views of the Mississippi River, head to Great River Bluffs State Park. It’s wonderful for hiking, nature walks, birdwatching, and enjoying the explosion of color in fall.
- Minneopa State Park, one of the state’s lesser-known parks, is absolutely worth the effort of visiting. It’s home to beautiful waterfalls, scenic grounds, and even a buffalo herd!
- Jay Cooke State Park in Duluth is an extraordinary place to spend a day, with a variety of hiking and mountain biking trails, and a swinging bridge that sways over the raging waters of the St. Louis River below.
- Split Rock Lighthouse State Park, home to the most photographed lighthouse in the country, is a beautiful destination on the North Shore. From there, you can connect up to the Superior Hiking Trail, which travels through 326 miles of forests in northern Minnesota, and even make your way to the Tettagouche State Park via the Gitchi-Gami State Trail.
- Tettagouche State Park, also near Duluth, is home to one of the most beautiful waterfalls in the state. It’s open year-round, so you can see it under the sun, frozen in ice, or surrounded by fall colors.
- Grand Portage State Park is home to Minnesota’s tallest waterfall, which stands at an impressive 120 feet. There are also a number of hiking trails in the area, rounding out a beautiful afternoon in Minnesota.
- Head to Banning State Park, and enjoy the sights and sounds of the Kettle River. There is great kayaking and canoeing here.
- Find the headwaters of the mighty Mississippi River at Itasca State Park, near Walker MN. Beyond exploring the headwaters and the lake itself, there’s a beautiful wilderness drive in the park to enjoy.
- Find a number of curious glacial potholes left behind from the ice age and scenic views of the St. Croix River at Interstate State Park.
Find a Bed and Breakfast in Minnesota
We know how much fun we have when we visit Minnesota State Parks, but we also know just how tiring those days full of adventure and activity can be! When you’ve had your fill of activities for the day, the soothing comfort and warm hospitality of our Bed and Breakfasts will be waiting.
Our Collection of Inns include a variety of lodging types, from rustic to modern and rural to urban. We also offer an exceptional range of amenities not often found in traditional lodging, Airbnb, or vacation rental properties. This often includes a delicious breakfast to start off every morning of your stay. More importantly, you’ll experience the best hospitality from our extraordinary Innkeepers.
We think it’s easy to find your perfect Minnesota Bed and Breakfast, and our search tool can help! Book your getaway to Minnesota State Parks today. It will be our pleasure to show you around our incredible state this year.