Have you ever spent much time in Minnesota during the winter? There are a surprising number of fun things to do in Minnesota this winter, and it’s a great candidate for a winter getaway. Our Innkeepers are here to help you enjoy the best of the state! It is, without a doubt, cold outside. Cold and snowy weather outside doesn’t mean you have to stay inside, though. In fact, Minnesota is the perfect wintry destination, especially for you snow lovers out there.
Though Minnesota is an exciting destination that offers 4 seasons of activities, there’s something that just feels special when you take the time to experience this outdoor lovers’ paradise in the winter. It has much to do with the silence and solitude you can experience outdoors in the winter. We also know you’ll need someplace warm to get out of the snow for a while. For that, choose to stay at one of our member Bed and Breakfasts. Experience Minnesota for yourself this winter, and book a room at one of our member Bed and Breakfasts.
Looking for Fun Things to do in Minnesota This Winter?
It’s true that Minnesota is a playground for outdoor enthusiasts during the spring and summer months. But if you’ve never experienced winter in Minnesota, you’re missing out on an exceptionally special season. There are just as many, if not more, things to do in Minnesota this winter! Our Inns are located near some of Minnesota’s most popular attractions, making us the perfect place to get away for a few days.
Though we’ve done our best to put together a list of fun things to do in the winter around Minnesota, the best person you can turn to for local recommendations is your Innkeeper. It’s another one of the many benefits you’ll enjoy when you stay with our member Inns!
- Cross Country or Nordic Skiing is one of the most popular activities to participate in during the winter months in Minnesota, and you can do it virtually everywhere.
- We can’t talk about winter in Minnesota and not mention ice fishing. In the land of a thousand lakes, well, there are plenty of options. Try Leech Lake near Walker or Lake Superior near Duluth.
- Visit Minnesota State Parks, and embark on a beautiful day of snowshoeing across some of the most beautiful trails in the state.
- Join the crowds and cheer on a local hockey team! Minnesota pro teams to watch during the winter include the Minnesota Timberwolves, Minnesota RollerGirls, and Minnesota Wild.
- Treat your taste buds and enjoy some Minnesota special maple taffy! It’s made by pouring freshly boiled maple syrup over icy cold snow.
- Warm-up with the perfect pint of craft beer, brewed at one of Minnesota’s top breweries. There are plenty to choose from but start with those we mentioned on a recent blog all about Minnesota’s brew scene.
- Have you ever been dog sledding? You can watch races from the safety of the sidelines, such as Mush for a Cure on Gunflint Lake, Wolftrack Classic in Ely, or the John Beargrease Sled Dog Marathon in Duluth Minnesota. If you want to try it yourself, there are a number of lodges near Duluth, Ely, and the Boundary Waters that offer guided day trips.
- If you want to enjoy some downhill skiing, head to the Duluth Area, where popular places to ski include Spirit Mountain and Lutsen Mountain. Other great places to ski include Giants Ridge in Biwabik, Buena Vista Ski Area in Bemidji, Afton Alps in Hastings, Wild Mountain in Taylors Falls, Buck Hill in Burnsville, Coffee Mill Ski Area in Wabasha, and Welch Village Ski and Snowboard Area near Red Wing.
- Get your adrenaline pumping and go snowmobiling on Minnesota’s exceptional network of trails.
- Try a new winter sport. Have you ever been curling? It’s really popular in Minnesota! In fact, we have the most curling clubs in the nation.
The Best Minnesota Lodging
If you’re looking for the perfect lodging in Minnesota, you’ve found it. Just as our Bed and Breakfasts are located in unique parts of Minnesota, they each offer unique accommodations. We’re confident that there’s at least one place that’s simply perfect for you. Relax, unwind, and let us do all the hard work for you, so you can do what matters to you most: Have fun and enjoy your time away!
There are more things to do in Minnesota this winter than we’ve listed here, no doubt. Book a room at one of our Minnesota Bed and Breakfasts today, and come experience our personal Winter Wonderland!