If you’re planning to visit Duluth at some point this winter, odds are you are interested in the many wonderful opportunities for outdoor recreation that can be found here. Whether you’re into alpine skiing or snowboarding, nordic skiing, hockey, ice fishing, ice climbing, snowmobiling, or something even less traditional like dog-sledding, Duluth is the place to be this winter. There are a lot of fun events happening in the Duluth area over the next few cold months of winter. As you make your plans, be sure to book a room at the elegant A.G. Thomson House Bed and Breakfast. Located near downtown Duluth, we offer the perfect escape for you this winter!
Winter Events To Consider
Skiers, snowboarders, and other outdoor enthusiasts love Duluth during this time of year. But that isn’t all this fun city has to offer. At some point, you have to embrace the snow and the cold up North, and learn to enjoy it. Here are some of our favorite ways to enjoy the winter to help get you started:
- Hockey fans won’t want to miss any of the UMD Bulldog’s Hockey Games this season. They’re off to a great start so far, with 11 wins, 3 ties, and 2 losses.
- Gunflint Mail Run is the sled dog race that kicks off the season.
- The John Beargrease Sled Dog Marathon is one of the most popular sled dog races in the country. The 319 mile race is the longest is the lower 48 states, and is a qualifying race for the world-famous Iditarod in Alaska.
- Enjoy a relaxing evening at one of our favorite restaurants in Duluth, the Blind Pig. Every Sunday night they host Sunday Night Blues.
- Join in the fun at Lutsen Mountain’s Lake Effect Music Festival. It’s 2 days worth of skiing, snowboarding, hot tubbing, and live music from 6 different bands.
- Who doesn’t love a good laugh? Every Friday and Saturday, Teatro Zuccone puts on the Renegade Improv show, which is consistently sold out.
- There’s no reason to stay off your bike during the winter. Fat Biking is huge in Duluth, as proven by the Norpine Fat Bike Classic. It is part of the Great Lakes Fat Bike Series, which is the largest fat bike racing series in the United States.
- If you’re planning a wedding in the coming year, then you won’t want to miss the Duluth Wedding Show. The event features over 150 different exhibitors showcasing the latest styles, trends and traditions as well as sampling, music, venues and other wedding planning essentials.
- Come out for a day of fun in the snow for the 14th annual Boulder Lake Ski Race & Snowshoe Stomp. Featured are a 5.2k and 10.4k snowshoe races, 11km and 32km skate-ski races, and an 16.2k ski/snowshoe duathlon.
- The Banff Mountain Film Festival showcases incredible and inspiring mountain films.
- Cross Country Skiing is popular throughout the upper Midwest. Nordic Spirit Ski Race & Tour, a scenic race that winds through Spirit Mountain and offers breathtaking vistas of Lake Superior and the bay, offers cross-country enthusiasts an excellent challenge.
These events are just a few examples of the exciting things happening in Duluth this winter. There’s no reason to fear the cold; the luxurious accommodations at the A.G. Thomson House will be there when you’re ready to warm up. Book your stay with us today!