LeDuc Historic Estate was built between 1862 and 1866 by William Gates LeDuc and his wife Mary LeDuc near the Vermillion river in Hastings, Minnesota. The LeDuc’s were prominent early settlers of Minnesota and played significant roles in the state’s growth from a territory to a state. William traveled to New York for the Crystal Palace World’s Fair and won acclaim for his presentation of Minnesota including a birch bark canoe and a live buffalo. He also served as a volunteer officer during the Civil War, rising to the rank of General. After the war, the family was involved in many business ventures – including Minnesota’s first railroad and a nationally reknowned embroidery business started by William and Mary’s daughters. www.dakotahisotry.org
The estate is open for tours from May through November and guests of the Classic Rosewood in Hastings often stop in for a stroll through the grounds or amaze at the 1865 gothic barn or enjoy the interactive library presentation.
If staying two nights at the Classic Rosewood Inn, you may ask the innkeeper for a free pass to the LeDuc, worth $10 for a couple.