MBBA Annual Conference & Vendor Show
Home > MBBA Annual Conference & Vendor Show
2018 Innkeeper Conference and Vendor Show + Annual Meeting
April 22, 23 and 24, 2018
Treasure Island Resort & Casino
5734 Sturgeon Lake Road, Red Wing, Minnesota
Aspiring Innkeepers Class - Sunday, April 22!
The MBBA Aspiring Innkeepers Workshop is designed for those dreaming of owning an inn or new owners already realizing the dream. Experienced innkeepers, Zig & Lynette Gudrais from the Minnesota Bed & Breakfast Association will discuss topics including inn-keeping responsibilities, marketing, legalities, insurance, bank issues, websites and great breakfasts!
CLICK HERE to register online!
2018 MBBA Conference, Annual Meeting and Vendor Trade Show
Conference Registration(CLICK HERE)
Please join us for a fun and informative conference featuring the topics you requested - important updates on MN changes and rules, industry and marketing trends, technology and more.
Vendors will be available throughout the day on Monday and at the dedicated Trader Show on Tuesday.
Sunday, April 22, 2018
10:00am-4:00pm - Aspiring Innkeepers Workshop (see info above & separate registration)
6:30-8:30pm – Welcome Mixer: Cash Bar (Arrive anytime)
3:30-8:30pm – Optional: Tour 4 local B&Bs - Candlelight Inn, Moondance Inn, Pratt-Taber Inn and Dinner at Round Barn Farm Weddings/B&B.
Monday, April 23, 2018
7:00 - 8:00am - Continental Breakfast
8:00 - 9:45am - Opening Session
Opening Speaker, John Edman, Director of Explore Minnesota. John is responsible for the development and implementation of tourism plans, policies, and programs to promote Minnesota as a tourism and travel destination. He is the state’s chief spokesperson for tourism-related issues, and manages Explore Minnesota with a staff of 45 and an annual budget of $14 million. John will provide us with an update on Minnesota Tourism plans for 2018 (Explore Minnesota – Trends and Opportunities).
Dan McElroy, President & CEO at Hospitality Minnesota, will provide us with an overview of Hospitality Minnesota and the benefits this organization can offer innkeepers and the MBBA.
10:00-10:45am Breakout Sessions
1. History of MBBA – a panel of early MN Historic Association members including Pam Thorsen and Ted Young will take us back to the creation of the MBBA, and why the organization is so important for innkeepers
2. Unlocking your Full Potential: Discover How ThinkReservations can Transform the way you operate your business – E. Scot Fuller-Beatty, Senior Account Manager, ThinkReservations - The lodging industry has continued to evolve. It's more important than ever to analyze the way you are operating your business, pricing your rooms, and the way you are interacting with your customers. At ThinkReservations, we have worked with hundreds of businesses and created a professional and comprehensive platform that will enable you to take advantage of these new opportunities. Join E Scot Fuller-Beatty, innkeeper/owner of The Chadwick Bed & Breakfast in Portland, Maine, and Sr. Account Manager at ThinkReservations, as he walks you through features such as Channel Management, Guest Interactions, and Operation Management. This is guaranteed to be a presentation you will not want to miss!
3. What’s Next in Digital Marketing? – Patricia McCauley, President, InsideOut Solutions – The Internet is changing at a faster and faster pace so what are we in for in the near future and how quickly? How will these changes affect our websites, our reservations and how do we prepare for it? Attend this fun, fast session and let’s explore the future together!
11:00-11:45am Breakout Sessions
1. Tracking Trends in the EverChanging Landscape of B&B Travel - Janice Hurley Hollis, BedandBreakfast.com/RezOvations – BedandBreakfast.com conducts quarterly surveys of thousands of B&B goers so as to better learn how we, as an industry, can always stay ahead of and surpass traveler expectations. In our surveys we monitor many things including online booking habits, triggers that get folks to book, etc., but in particular, trends among those folks who specifically love staying at B&Bs. In our Traveler Trends presentation, we’ll dig deep into trends we’re seeing and share various ways in which you can capitalize on the ever emerging trends of today’s traveler.
2. 20 Marketing Items to Do Right Now – Jeff Logan, Logan Marketing - Jeff Logan of Logan Marketing will detail 20 Internet Marketing items you should be doing right now at your property. What is most important Blogging, Google Optimization, Reviews??? This will be an interactive presentation and one member will be crowned a winner that has completed the most of these items.
3. Credit Card Acceptance and How the Lodging Industry Drives it - David Allen, President, Velocity Payment Systems – Dave will discuss how rates and fees work, proper disclaimers for website processing to protect the Inn from chargebacks, what is EMV or chip card processing, and how Velocity Payment Systems can integrate with websites and reservation software.
12:00-1:30pm – MBBA Working Lunch/Annual Meeting
2:00-2:45pm Breakout Sessions
1. Understanding Yield Management Strategies - E. Scot Fuller-Beatty, ThinkReservations - The lodging industry has continued to evolve. It's more important than ever to analyze the way you are operating your business and pricing your rooms. There is a big opportunity to increase your revenue if you can better understand the demand your business experiences. This presentation will teach you through examples, help you better understand your reports, and even discuss how you can make OTAs work for you.
2. How to Utilize the MBBA Website to Market Your Inn - Patricia McCauley, InsideOut Solutions - This interactive session will cover how innkeepers can utilize the MBBA website to market their inns using the features such as, blogging, target markets, featured inn, as well as how to keep track of their inn’s statistics.
3. Understanding Gluten-Free - Donna Klausen, MUDD Creek – Donna will help educate us on why so many of our guests are requesting gluten-free breakfasts, and provide some tasty options that will appeal to everyone.
3:00-3:45pm Breakout Sessions
1. Instagram – How to Connect, Share to Facebook and Get more Customers - Holly Sobrack, Westbrack Marketing – Holly will show us how to expand our social media presence with Instagram and link to Facebook.
2. Marketing B&Bs to Today’s Travelers: Consumer Expectations and Marketing from the Community Perspective – Dr. Xinyi Qian, University of Minnesota – In this presentation, Dr. Xinyi Qian from University of Minnesota Tourism Center will present a summary of the Bed and Breakfast survey results. She will also use interactive activities to present expectations of today's travelers and marketing from the community perspective.
3. Specialized B&B Insurance – What B&B Owners Need to Know – Shawn Hankel, Security State Insurance - Shawn will explain what business coverages are available for a Bed and Breakfast and present an extremely competitive B&B specific package.
4:00-4:45pm Breakout Sessions
1. Lodging Changes and Rules, MN Department of Health Advisory Committee Representative
4:45-6:15pm - Vendor Social Time (Cash Bar 5:15-6:15pm)
6:30-8:00pm - Banquet / Auction
8:00-10:00pm - Bowling Tournament – organize a team and have some fun
Tuesday, April 24, 2018
8:00-9:00am - Continental Breakfast
8:30-11:45am – Vendor Trade Show
As requested, uninterrupted time with the industry partners. The businesses that provide the products and services to help manage your inn. Don’t miss the vendor drawing following the luncheon.
12:00-1:30pm - Vendor Luncheon w/Vendor Presentations/Drawing
1:45-2:00pm - Conference Evaluations/Open Innkeeper Discussions
The Island is calling…Treasure Island Resort and Casino is a destination resort with fun and relaxing options. Come early or stay an extra day and enjoy all the amenities that Treasure Island Resort and Casino has to offer. In addition to Gaming:
· Enjoy the Island’s new water park “The Lagoon” – free wristbands provided
· Relax at the full-service Wave Spa,
· Join us for bowling after the banquet at the Island Extreme Bowl.
Book your room reservations with Treasure Island at 800-222-7077 and mention the MBBA Conference.
VENDOR REGISTRATION (CLICK HERE)
Reserve your space now for April 23 & 24, 2018. Vendors are invited to display their wares, as well as participate in special networking and educational opportunities where you'll get to know innkeepers from around the state and the region. Dedicated vendor times have been set-aside on both days including a vendor luncheon where you’ll have a moment to address the entire group about your product or service. Already busy those dates? Fill out the registration to have your goods or services displayed at the vendor show with the option to give-away an item at the vendor luncheon from business cards collected. We’ll see you there!